Wednesday, July 30, 2014
Playing Devil's Advocate With Vatican II
Before the great apostasy, the Roman Catholic Church taught religious toleration, namely, that false sects may be tolerated in countries where Catholics are a minority, but the Catholic religion must be the State religion to the exclusion of all others wherever possible. The idea of religious liberty where all sects are given equal rights with the One True Church has ever been deemed "insanity" by the Church:
The Syllabus of Errors of Pope Pius IX (1864)
77. In the present day it is no longer expedient that the Catholic religion should be held as the only religion of the State, to the exclusion of all other forms of worship. -- Allocution "Nemo vestrum," July 26, 1855.
78. Hence it has been wisely decided by law, in some Catholic countries, that persons coming to reside therein shall enjoy the public exercise of their own peculiar worship. -- Allocution "Acerbissimum," Sept. 27, 1852.
79. Moreover, it is false that the civil liberty of every form of worship, and the full power, given to all, of overtly and publicly manifesting any opinions whatsoever and thoughts, conduce more easily to corrupt the morals and minds of the people, and to propagate the pest of indifferentism. -- Allocution "Nunquam fore," Dec. 15, 1856.
80. The Roman Pontiff can, and ought to, reconcile himself, and come to terms with progress, liberalism and modern civilization.- -Allocution "Jamdudum cernimus," March 18, 1861.
Pope Gregory XVI Mirari Vos (1832)
14. This shameful font of indifferentism gives rise to that absurd and erroneous proposition which claims that liberty of conscience must be maintained for everyone. It spreads ruin in sacred and civil affairs, though some repeat over and over again with the greatest impudence that some advantage accrues to religion from it. "But the death of the soul is worse than freedom of error," as Augustine was wont to say. When all restraints are removed by which men are kept on the narrow path of truth, their nature, which is already inclined to evil, propels them to ruin. Then truly "the bottomless pit" is open from which John saw smoke ascending which obscured the sun, and out of which locusts flew forth to devastate the earth. Thence comes transformation of minds, corruption of youths, contempt of sacred things and holy laws -- in other words, a pestilence more deadly to the state than any other. Experience shows, even from earliest times, that cities renowned for wealth, dominion, and glory perished as a result of this single evil, namely immoderate freedom of opinion, license of free speech, and desire for novelty.
The wisdom of the True Church came to mind when it was reported this week that The Satanic Temple (TST) is suing to circumvent pro-life laws in view of a recent Supreme Court decision. (See my post of May 16, 2014 for more info on the Satanic Temple). As reported in the Huffington Post:
The Satanic Temple is a religious group that "believes that the body is inviolable subject to one’s own will alone" and encourages making personal health decisions "based on the best scientific understanding of the world, regardless of the religious or political beliefs of others.” The group launched a campaign Monday on behalf of a woman's right to accurate medical information and cited the Hobby Lobby ruling as bolstering this position.
Hobby Lobby, a Christian-owned arts and crafts store based in Oklahoma, filed a lawsuit in 2012 due to a stipulation in President Obama's Affordable Care Act which required employer-provided health insurance to cover contraceptives. Hobby Lobby disagreed with this on the basis that certain contraceptives could be abortive and argued the law violates religious freedom. In June, the Supreme Court ruled that some closely held, for-profit corporations could be exempt from providing contraception coverage to employees on the basis of religious beliefs.
In Hobby Lobby, "Any suggestion that for-profit corporations are incapable of exercising religion because their purpose is simply to make money flies in the face of modern corporate law," the court's ruling said. Requiring religious corporations to cover contraception "demands that they engage in conduct that seriously violates their religious beliefs," the ruling also stated.
On TST's website, the group provides a printable letter that women can give their health care providers to opt out of pro-life informed consent laws, stating that such a precondition is "based on politics and not science" and that it is against the Satanic religion.
The letter lists specific principles that allow TST's campaign to fall under the category of religious exemption:
• My body is inviolable and subject to my will alone.
• I make any decision regarding my health based on the best scientific understanding of the world, even if the science does not comport with the religious or political beliefs of others.
• My inviolable body includes any fetal or embryonic tissue I carry so long as that tissue is unable to survive outside my body as an independent human being.
• I, and I alone, decide whether my inviolable body remains pregnant and I may, in good conscience, disregard the current or future condition of any fetal or embryonic tissue I carry in making that decision.
The Hobby Lobby case was hailed by pro-lifers as a great victory in the name of "Freedom of Religion." What they fail to see is that the religious liberty ingrained in our Constitution is based on the Masonic principles of the French Revolution and their false slogan of "liberty, equality, fraternity." These same principles were taught at Vatican II in the document on Religious Liberty, Dignitatis Humanae, paragraph #2 :
"The Council further declares that the right to religious freedom has its foundation in the very dignity of the human person... This right to religious freedom is to be recognized in the constitutional law whereby society is governed. Thus it is to become a civil right."
When truth and falsehood are given equal footing, this is the insane result. Pope Gregory could almost be said to have seen our age when he declared, "When all restraints are removed by which men are kept on the narrow path of truth, their nature, which is already inclined to evil, propels them to ruin." If religious liberty can be used to circumvent pro-abortion laws, then it can equally be used to circumvent pro-life laws, and nothing good is ultimately gained as a result.
Vatican II has dared to do what Lucifer always wanted; have himself placed on equal footing with God. The consequences will be the countless destruction of both bodies and souls.