If you ever heard the Vatican II sect "priests" talk about the Gospel in their "homily," you would get the idea that the books of the Bible are more or less a bunch of nice stories that teach us to be kind because "God is good all the time." They denigrate "born again" Protestant ministers, not for their many and genuine heresies, but because they "falsely" believe the Bible to be the inspired and infallible Word of God. At the same time, (so we are told), in the days pre-Vatican II, Catholics were "not allowed" or "discouraged" from reading the Bible on their own. In this way, they were prevented from seeing that the Bible is a nice collection of myths, stories, and some truths to encourage us to believe in a nice God and His Son Who was "the greatest man (sic) on Earth."
If you're wondering how we got to this sorry state of affairs, modern Biblical scholarship was infected by the Modernists in the wake of Vatican II. The seeds were sowed in the late 19th century, and one man in particular did more damage than all the others. Alfred Firmin Loisy was born in France on February 28, 1857, and died June 1, 1940. He was ordained a priest on June 29, 1879, but was off-course in his spiritual life. He obtained his theology degree in 1890. Loisy claimed in his journal that he had a "fever for glory" and wanted to become a "Father of the Church."(See McKee, The Enemy Within the Gate , pg. 23). His arrogance and diabolical hatred for all things traditional Catholic, led to him becoming one of the "Fathers of Modernism" and of the Vatican II sect, which his influence helped to spawn in 1964.
As we shall see in this post, Loisy was particularly critical of the Bible, and is even called in some circles the "Founder of Biblical Modernism in the Catholic (sic) Church." It is because of him, and his intellectual/spiritual disciples, that the true teaching regarding the Bible was discarded.
Ridding The Bible of "Myths"
Loisy argued against the Mosaic authorship of the Pentateuch, the reliability of Genesis’ creation accounts, and against the historical dependability of the Bible in general. As a result, he was removed from his teaching position at the Institut Catholique. After his dismissal, he was made a chaplain at a girls school at Neuilly. In 1900 Loisy became lecturer at Ecole des hautes Estudes at the Sorbonne, where he was able to continue spreading his ideas as a Modernist. Pope Leo XIII issued the encyclical Providentissimus Deus in 1893 condemning the errors of Modernist Biblical criticism.
Undaunted, Loisy continued to write heretical books, using Modernist Biblical criticism. In particular, Loisy:
- Denied the authority of God, the Scriptures, and Tradition
- Denied the Divinity of Jesus Christ
- Denied Christ was omniscient
- Denied the Redemptive death and Resurrection of Christ
- Denied the Virgin Birth
- Denied Transubstantiation
- Denied the Divine Institution of both the papacy and the Church
Loisy told the Cardinal in his letter that "I accept all the dogmas of the Church." This was an unabashed lie, because at the same time in his journal he wrote, "I have not been Catholic in the official sense of the word for a long time...Roman Catholicism as such is destined to perish, and it will deserve no regrets." (Ibid, pgs. 32-33). The wise Cardinal was not satisfied, as he knew all too well how Modernists lie and conceal their true intentions by giving different meanings to dogmas. A Modernist could say, "I believe in the Resurrection of Christ (insofar as he lives on; not materially, but in the minds of His followers)." The part in parentheses is never said aloud. Cardinal Merry del Val continued to advise Pope St. Pius that more stringent measures needed to be taken.
Finally, in 1907, His Holiness Pope St. Pius X condemned 65 Modernist propositions in his famous declaration Lamentabili Sane. Of those 65 propositions, fifty (50) were taken from the works of Loisy. Enraged, Loisy realized that there was no reconciliation possible with the Church and his heresy. He now made plain what he had heretofore keep close to his vest when he wrote publicly, "Christ has even less importance in my religion than he does in that of the liberal Protestants: for I attach little importance to the revelation of God the Father for which they honor Jesus. If I am anything in religion, it is more pantheist-positivist-humanitarian than Christian." On March 7, 1908, Loisy was solemnly excommunicated by Pope St. Pius X. He became a college professor, forsaking his clerical status, and died unrepentant in 1940.
The Condemnations of Lamentabili Sane
Here are just some of the propositions (all solemnly condemned by St. Pius X) which Loisy propagated in regard to Holy Scripture:
4. Even by dogmatic definitions the Church’s Magisterium cannot determine the genuine sense of the Sacred Scriptures.
7. In proscribing errors, the Church cannot demand any internal assent from the faithful by which the judgments She issues are to be embraced.
10. The inspiration of the books of the Old Testament consists in this: The Israelite writers handed down religious doctrines under a peculiar aspect which was either little or not at all known to the Gentiles.
11. Divine inspiration does not extend to all of Sacred Scriptures so that it renders its parts, each and every one, free from every error.
12. If he wishes to apply himself usefully to Biblical studies, the exegete[interpreter of the Bible] must first put aside all preconceived opinions about the supernatural origin of Sacred Scripture and interpret it the same as any other merely human document.
In Defense of God's Word
The attacks of Loisy and the Modernists on Sacred Scripture lack merit, even apart from a theological perspective. The following is taken and condensed from the work of A. Anderson, a lawyer who attacked the alleged logical basis of the Modernists' faulty exegesis. Anderson shows that the Modernists cannot maintain their position in regard to Sacred Scripture being "unreliable"--- even in the purposeful absence of theological proof. What makes his work, entitled A Lawyer Among the Theologians, (Hodder and Stoughton, ) truly masterful, is how he demonstrates that the Gospels are historically reliable while fighting Modernists "on their own turf" by using the best secular evidence, and not invoking any theological authority.
Reasons for Accepting the Gospels as Historically Reliable
As a form of literature, the Gospels are unique, for they were written by believers to confirm the readers in their faith or to bring to faith those who did not yet believe. Since the Christian faith is rooted in history, the Evangelists were concerned in reporting what actually happened, and therefore the religious aim of the Gospels is not a valid reason for rejecting them as historically inaccurate or unreliable.
1. Two Evangelists explicitly claim they are reporting historical facts. St. Luke begins his Gospel by telling us that he has been at pains to gather reliable information about the events he plans to chronicle in order that Theophilus, for whom he is directly writing, may rest assured that his faith in Christ is based on well-established fact. The order in which he recounts the facts is not strictly chronological, but in its main outlines Luke's account of the public ministry of Jesus tallies with those of Sts. Matthew and Mark. St. John also presents his Gospel as a record of facts which serve as a warranty for faith in Christ.
2. The Evangelists, even if they wanted to, could not have made up the story, for the central figure is so tremendous and the story of His life so unique as to be beyond the power of human imagination. Even John Stuart Mill, a rationalist philosopher who rejected the supernatural said, "Who among His disciples or among the proselytes was capable of inventing the sayings of Jesus or or of imagining the life and character revealed in the Gospels? Certainly not the simple fishermen of Galilee; certainly not St. Paul, whose character and idiosyncrasies were of a totally different sort; still less the early Christian writers."
3. The Gospels had to pass the scrutiny of men who had witnessed the events that were recorded, and were hostile to the Christian claims.
4. Historical and archaeological research have revealed that the Gospels depict with striking exactitude the very complex social and political order that prevailed in the Middle East in the third decade of the first century, an order that was completely destroyed in 70 A.D. The Evangelists' reliability in recording these items creates a presumption that their testimony on other matters is true as well.
5. A crucified Messiah was completely out of step with regard to Jewish expectations. The Jews were expecting a Messiah, but not a suffering Messiah, and still less an Incarnate Deity. Even if they thought the Messiah was to be the Son of God, even the most learned rabbis of the day would NOT think Him to be born in a stable, spend thirty years in obscurity as a carpenter, and end His life on the ignominious death of the cross. Christ therefore was, in the words of St. Paul, a "stumbling block" on the path to faith. (1 Corinthians 1:23).
There is non-Christian testimony from pagan historians which corroborate the unique life of Jesus Christ. These writers include:
- Flavius Josephus
- Pliny the Younger
The Modernists have come to destroy all that is good, beautiful, and true. The would be "Church Father" Alfred Loisy was the quintessential Modernist, seeking to destroy the Church and replace Her with a One World Religion. He began attacking the reliability of the Bible, and the Vatican II sect continues with the de-supernaturalized "social Gospel" which reduces the Faith to little more than worldly concerns and advocates for Socialism/Communism. One of Loisy's most noted sayings was, "Jesus came proclaiming the Kingdom, and what arrived was the Church," as if Our Lord never intended to found a Church. Loisy admitted to being a "pantheist-positivist-humanitarian" --a man devoid of the Faith.
Bergoglio and his false hierarchy are Loisy's successors in heresy and apostasy. They proclaim a mythical Jesus ("There is no Catholic God") Who founded no Church ("proselytism is solemn nonsense") and lets you do what you want ("Who am I to judge?"). The only thing our SSPX friends need to recognize is that the Vatican II sect is not the Roman Catholic Church, and then resist the sect by admitting sedevacantism--- thereby joining the fight against it.