Monday, August 5, 2019

Singing For Satan---Part 25


This week I continue my once-per-month series of posts regarding an informal study I undertook in the early 1990s regarding rock and pop music. The purpose of my study (and the background to it) can be read in the first installment of August 7, 2017. If you have not read that post, I strongly encourage you to do so before reading this installment. I will only repeat here the seven (7) evil elements that pervade today's music:

1. Violence/Murder/Suicide
2. Nihilism/Despair
3. Drug and alcohol glorification
4. Adultery/ Fornication and sexual perversion
5. The occult
6. Rebellion against lawful superiors
7. Blasphemy against God, Jesus Christ in particular, and the Church

 The exposing of the bands/artists continues.

Creed and Scott Stapp
 In the late 1990s, a new movement in rock and roll took place, known as the post-grunge movement.  Unlike the grunge bands, such as Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and the Stone Temple Pilots, the post-grunge music had a more polished and less abrasive sound. The lyrics were lest angst ridden (it would be hard to be more angst ridden than grunge!), and the power-ballad was revived to great commercial success. The post-grunge sound remained highly popular into the 2000s. At the forefront of the post-grunge craze was the band that all the others imitated--Creed. With bold, spiritual themed songs, Creed became a huge success thanks to lead singer Scott Stapp. Other bands of the genre such as 3 Doors Down, Cold, and Lifehouse, all had singers that tried to sound like Stapp, a man who became known as "The Voice" of the late 1990s. 

Creed was formed in Florida in 1993 by Scott Stapp (b. Anthony Flippen in 1973) on lead vocals/lyrics and his friend from high school, Mark Tremonti (b. 1974) who wrote music and played lead guitar. Stapp and Tremonti had been friends in high school and both wound up attending Florida State University where they started playing music together and decided to form a band. The duo put up posters around campus inviting musicians to try out. They chose three men whom they felt were both serious and talented. Brain Marshall (b. 1973) played bass, Thomas Scott "Flip" Phillips (b. 1973) played drums, and Brian Basher (b. 1973) played rhythm guitar. However, Basher left the band in 1995 before their first album was made, and they decided not to replace him, continuing Creed as a quartet.  

The band was looking for a name, and Tremonti thought that it would be funny to call themselves Naked Toddler, after he read a newspaper account of police having found such a child abandoned in the street. The others reluctantly agreed, but soon regretted the using the name when audiences thought they were promoting pedophilia and would boo them. Stapp insisted the name be changed immediately. He asked the other members if they ever played in other bands, and what names they had. Tremonti said he played for a short time with a group calling themselves Moxon Creed. Stapp immediately suggested just using "Creed" for the band as it sounded impressive to him. The group voted unanimously to adopt the name.   

After getting well known around the college area, the four of them worked at menial jobs for minimum wage, while studying and making music. The songwriting team of Stapp and Tremonti wrote tunes that were drawing in audiences, so the four of them (Basher had left) decided to scrape together $6,000 to produce a small amount of CDs for their first album entitled My Own Prison. They were successful, and were able to produce 6,000 low quality sounding CDs (what can you expect for $1 each?). Despite the sound quality they sold out all 6,000 copies quickly. A small local radio station started playing the title track, and the group caught the attention of Diana Meltzer and her husband; entrepreneurs who were starting a record label called  Wind-Up Records. She and her husband decided to hear Creed play in person, and they were amazed by Stapp's voice and sheer energy as he sang. They offered to sign them right away as their label's first act, and Creed signed immediately.

Wind-Up remixed the album, and released it nationwide. The first four singles hit number one in 1997. By 1998, everyone had heard of Creed, and most bands wanted to emulate them. They released their second album in 1999, entitled Human Clay---it was certified diamond (10 million copies sold). Their third album Weathered (2001) was tremendously successful as well, even though Creed was now a trio, with the departure of Marshall. The band broke up when Stapp and Tremonti had high tensions that ended their friendship. Stapp had a moderately successful solo career, while the other three members formed a group called Alter Bridge, which was not very successful (in large part due to the absence of Stapp's vocals). They reunited as Creed in 2009, putting out the album Full Circle, after which they broke up again. Creed has sold over 53 million albums worldwide, and was the ninth best-selling band of the 2000s.

Personal Research
Creed was sometimes referred to as a "Christian rock group" and Stapp was quick to denounce the idea. Twenty years ago, Stapp was quoted in an interview as saying, "I'm not preaching; I'm not trying to get people to believe in Christianity. And a lot of the songs are me trying to figure out if I believe in it at all, me trying to deal with the condemnation and guilt that Christianity can lay on a young person’s mind." Most of the songs seemed irreverent and questioning of God's existence and/or motives. At first, I decided not to include Creed in this series, because when I originally did my research, Creed hadn't taken off yet. My superficial findings I did when they hit the big time left me confused because Stapp was on drugs and a raging alcoholic, yet he never sang or bragged about it like the other rock artists. He also would make comments, such as:

 "...I'm haunted by God. It’s something that I can’t escape. I’ve been indoctrinated in that religion since I was an infant – it’s second nature to me. I believe in God because it’s what I’ve been told my entire life. So there’s a conflict in me; and probably for three songs each record, I’ll deal with that. It’s just a cleansing thing,..." Haunted by God? I couldn't help but think of the poem The Hound of Heaven by Francis Thompson. In the poem, the speaker is running from God, as do many people caught up in the world. But God pursues him. Although aware of God's love for him, the speaker continues to run, believing that submitting to God means giving up worldly pleasures. It seemed to fit Stapp's life as I saw it. While Tremonti seemed detestable, Stapp evoked a feeling of pity from me. As I was not really researching to the extent I used to, I decided to just stop my research of the group. The only artist I ever researched at length and found harmless was Christopher Cross (b. Christopher Geppert in 1951). I was not even intending to make Creed a post in this series until earlier this year.

In my original post in this series, I mentioned that in 1989, I met someone with whom I am still good friends today. He was a DJ on a small station in NY, playing CCM ("Contemporary Christian Music") which included "Christian Heavy Metal"! I learned quite a bit from him. He told me that the problem with secular rock and pop music are the lifestyles of the artists and the lyrics. He did not condemn all secular music. He does not claim that everything is evil unless specifically religious. He did bring out the need to beware and use discernment. I received a call from him--I'll call him "Rob" (not his real name)--- earlier this year. "How are you, my friend?" he asked. "I'm doing well! What's going on?" I replied. "How would you like to meet Scott Stapp in person?" I was stunned. I knew Rob refused to play Creed because he had serious reservations about the lyrics and lifestyles--although he too felt unsure about the group for the same reasons I did.

"I know you have connections, but why would you want to see Scott Stapp?" Rob was excited, "Didn't you hear? Scott accepted Christianity and his second solo album has songs in honor of Jesus! He's working on a new album right now, due out in July. You can read about his conversion in his 2012 autobiography called Sinner's Creed." I was at a loss for words. Rob continued, "Look I have an extra copy of his book, and I'll send you his last CD, Proof of Life. We used to talk about him when Creed was big." I thought for a moment and told Rob, "I'd like to meet him. Thank you for sending on the book and CD. Will I have time to read and listen before the meeting?" His answer was what I was hoping for: "Of course. It is a rehearsal of the new album, you'll hear it before anybody else. It's only February, and the meeting will be in June." I thanked Rob again, and couldn't wait to see what this conversion was all about.

 When the book and CD arrived, I devoured them. I finished the book in two evenings after work, and listened to the CD in my car. The story of Scott Stapp was fascinating to me. Born Anthony Scott Flippen on August 8, 1973, the future voice of Creed was born the son of a printer and former Marine, Richard Flippen and his wife Lynda. He has two younger sisters, Amanda and Aimee. When Anthony was still a little boy, his father abandoned his family. Neither his father or mother ever gave an explanation for this event. His mother got a divorce and took the kids to a Protestant church every Sunday. His mother was devout. While Anthony was still a boy, his mother got remarried to Steven Stapp, a dentist and Protestant minister.

At first, Anthony really liked Steve. After marrying his mother, he adopted all three children and gave them his surname. Anthony liked his middle name better than Anthony, so his new legal name became Scott Stapp. Steven Stapp soon revealed himself for who he really was; a bully. He would give "Christian discipline" in the form of beating his adopted children mercilessly for the slightest infraction of any one of his rules. As "head of the household" he didn't hesitate to slap around his wife if she "got out of line." Whenever Scott did something his adopted father did not like, he would make him go to his room and write an essay on some part of the Bible, such as the Book of Job. The next Sunday, his father plagiarized Scott's analysis of the Book of Job for his sermon and never gave his son credit. Scott said nothing for fear of being beaten, and his adopted father kept on plagiarizing.

It was from this caricature of "God" that Scott Stapp rebelled. He wound up running away from home and enrolling in Florida State University (even though he had been accepted at Ivy League schools), where he barely made enough money by waiting tables and had some help from his biological father whom Scott hunted down in order to reconnect. After his career with Creed took off, the Meltzer's were pushing Scott to perform night after night without any respite. They had an unscrupulous doctor give Scott pain medications to which he became addicted. He would also "self-medicate" with alcohol and have blackouts. He fell into deep depression.

He met a young woman Hillaree Burns whom he married in 1997, but he admits he really didn't really love her. They had a son, Jagger, for whom he wrote the mega-hit song With Arms Wide Open. He divorced Burns when she proved to be more of an addict than he was, and Stapp obtained sole custody of their son. By 2003, Scott Stapp was worth almost $30 million dollars. Thanks to the mismanagement of the Meltzer's and his drug and booze addiction, he wound up losing almost all his money. Not only that, but his adopted father's dental practice was going south and he had racked up massive debt. Scott's mother asked him to help, and despite years of abuse, he bailed Steven Stapp out to the tune of $1.5 million dollars. His family only called on him when they needed money, and now the money was gone. He put two guns to his head and was going to kill himself so he could be like Kurt Cobain--a "martyr" that could produce a lot of money for his son.

Tremonti and the other band members had turned on him, so why not "finish it"? Tremonti accused Stapp of being a narcissist who wanted all the attention, yet when Rolling Stone magazine called wanting to put Scott Stapp on the cover, he refused unless Creed was on the cover as a band. No one turns down Rolling Stone, but Scott did just that, and the Meltzers were furious! The magazine unexpectedly called back a couple of days later, and agreed to put all of Creed on the cover. Instead of being happy, when the band found out, they became angry that Stapp was even asked to be on the cover alone. Jealousy was tearing them apart. As he thought of all this and was about to pull the trigger, out of the corner of his eye he saw a picture of his son Jagger, and shot up his house as he cried. His love for his son had saved his life.

In 2004, after Creed broke up, Stapp embarked on a solo career. His first album went platinum in 2005, called The Great Divide. In 2005, his life took a good turn when he met 2004 Miss New York beauty queen Jaclyn Nesheiwat. They were married in 2006 and have three children. Later that year, while drunk, he fell off a roof and should have died. He was found by a Christian rap artist T.I. who saved his life by finding Scott and staying with him until the ambulance he called arrived. That's when Stapp began taking God seriously again. In 2012, his autobiography came out, and his 2013 album Proof of Life definitely had a Christian spin on it.

He had written the song Jesus was a Rockstar:

He walked on water man. He made that water wine.
And then he drank with people you and me would just cast aside
He did his people good. Just like he said he would.
And in the blink of an eye, he gave a blind man sight
His love was thunder in the sky
His roar was lions in the night
When he spoke he always drew a crowd
His message was his lifestyle
He gave us everything and more
He was the party we've been looking for
Maybe, just maybe.... Jesus was rockstar!
Can I get a witness?
He brought the dead to life
He rose when called to rise
There was a passion in his eyes and it spread like wildfire
His love was thunder in the sky
His roar was lions in the night
When he spoke he always drew a crowd
His message was his lifestyle
He gave us everything and more
He was the party we've been looking for
Maybe, just maybe.... Jesus was rockstar!
Can I get a witness?
Father I have sinned a million sins
Save me from this world you put me in
So come on. Come on. Bring Jesus back again.

His love was thunder in the sky
His roar was lions in the night
When he spoke he always drew a crowd
His message was his lifestyle
He brought the fire and the light
He wrote the songs you can't deny
He rocked so hard, I can hear him now
He brought the house down!
He gave us everything and more
He was the party we've been looking for
Maybe, just maybe
I said maybe, just maybe
Maybe, maybe, maybe
Jesus was a rockstar
Can I get a witness?
Jesus was a rockstar

Can I get a witness?

I didn't know what to make of all of this material. Stapp fell off the wagon after his book, and his wife filed for divorce. He pleaded for her not to leave and they reconciled. He was diagnosed with bipolar disorder after a psychotic break in 2014 and turned more to prayer. He's been clean and sober ever since. With all this info, I went to meet the man himself.

The Meeting
Note to my readers: The words attributed to myself and Scott Stapp are as best I remember them. I did not record the meeting (his security team did not allow such--or cameras). What follows is as close to the actual conversation according to my memory and the notes I made right afterwards to keep the memory fresh. The ideas and things we discussed are accurate, but I do not mean to imply that every actual word is captured in quotations.---Introibo

I arrived with my friend at the place where the meeting would occur. It was a beautiful Sunday afternoon. Rob and I entered with a couple of other people he knew. Scott Stapp and his band members were practicing the songs for his new album The Space Between the Shadows. They were playing as if they were in front of a huge audience of thousands, not alone in an auditorium. I have never witnessed anyone sing with the energy and passion of Scott Stapp. That's in large part because all the songs are personal to him. He was never allowed to express his feelings growing up, so music was his way to put his emotions out for the world to hear on topics about which he really cared.

The songs were quite moving and very reverent. No bad language was used, and the band was very serious as they played. When they finished the set, Scott saw Rob and the rest of us. "Hello, and welcome!" he shouted. Scott Stapp came and greeted each of us. He stands about 5'9" and has a slim, muscular build. He was wearing a t-shirt, jeans, socks and sneakers--all solid black. Mr. Stapp was humble, genuine, and affable; very refreshing for someone who was so famous. We shook hands and I inquired if I might ask him a few questions. "Of course," he said with a smile. 

"How would you describe your music now? Are you a Christian Rock artist or a Christian who plays rock and roll?" He thought for a moment. "I'm a Christian who plays rock and roll. I wasn't always a good Christian, I did some very bad things, but I was always Christian in my heart. Some people feel that my earlier songs were disrespectful towards God, but that's what I was going through at the time--I was questioning my faith. If your faith is so strong you never questioned it, I admire that, but for myself and many others, we are sometimes overcome by doubts. Christian rock is always out in the open about Christ, and I am sometimes too. Other times my message is subtle. Therefore, I avoid the term 'Christian rock' for me. I turned my back on God because of my upbringing (he pointed to the copy of his autobiography I was holding). But I was wrong. My adopted father's God is not the True God. I've come back to a proud faith."

An example of questioning his faith from his time with Creed can be seen in the lyrics to Don't Stop Dancing:

At times life is wicked and I just can't
See the light
A silver lining sometimes isn't enough
To make some wrongs seem right
Whatever life brings
I've been through everything
And now I'm on my knees again
But I know I must go on
Although I hurt I must be strong
Because inside I know that many
Feel this way
Children don't stop dancing
Believe you can fly
Away, away
At times life's unfair and you know
It's plain to see
Hey God I know I'm just a dot in this world
Have you forgot about me?
Whatever life brings
I've been through everything
And now I'm on my knees again
But I know I must go on
Although I hurt I must be strong
Because inside I know that many
Feel this way
Children don't stop dancing
Believe you can fly
Away, away
Am I hiding in the shadows?
Forget the pain and forget the sorrows
Am I hiding in the shadows?
Forget the pain and forget the sorrows
But I know I must go on
Although I hurt I must be strong
Because inside I know that many feel this way
Children don't stop dancing
Believe you can fly
Away, away (Emphasis mine)

He wonders if God "forgot" about him during his trials, but he's on his knees again, praying anyway.

Next, I asked him, "What is your song Higher about? I've done some research, and there are some sources that claim it's about Hinduism and you wrote it while engaged in pagan/occult meditation. Some claim it's a reference to drugs." Scott's head dropped. He looked sincerely pained by the question. He looked up and said, "The song is about Heaven, however you conceive of it. I'm Christian, so of course I see it from a Christian worldview. The idea that it involves Hinduism or the occult is just another vicious rumor about me. If I had a dime for every vicious rumor, I'd be worth multi-millions.I detest drugs and alcohol abuse. It nearly destroyed me and I don't approve of songs that glamorize it. The song speaks of streets of gold; that's Biblical imagery." 

He then took me on a brief survey of his new album. The title The Space Between the Shadows, is a collection of songs which tells us that as Christians we see life is mostly pain/evil, so we must find the space or light between those dark areas (evil) to learn and grow from our hurts and help others in pain. In so doing, we help ourselves, grow closer to God, and make sense of life. "Let me show you something," he said, and lead me to a large screen TV. "Watch this short video." A twelve minute video played showing Scott and his wife helping children in Central America. He donates a portion of his income to helping these impoverished kids. As I watched, one of the songs from his album played in the background of the video called Wake Up Call. It expresses the exasperation he feels about God sometimes seeming far away. It means the oppressed of this world (like these poor children) can be helped, and life changed for the better if we want it to; let the suffering of others be our wake up call to action.

One day the bridge is going to break
One day the world will stand still
The sky will fall the earth will shake
There's just so much a heart can take

This is a wake up call
How many times before you lose it all
You're like a cannon ball
Breaking walls
This is a wake up call
Before there's no one left to catch your fall
But you can change it all
If you want to...

Sometimes life is so insane
Sometimes we don't know what to feel
Does God help us when we pray
Or do we face it all alone, all alone

This is a wake up call
How many times before you lose it all
You're like a cannon ball
Breaking walls
This is a wake up call
Before there's no one left to catch your fall
But you can change it all
If you want to...

If you want to...
If you want to...
If you want to...

This is a wake up call
How many times before you lose it all
This is your wake up call
Before there's no one left to catch your fall
But you can change it all
If you want to...
If you want to...
If you want to...
If you want to...
This is your wake up call
And you can change it all
If you want to...
If you want to...

Then he spoke about a touching ballad dedicated to two of his friends (rock singers Chris Cornell and Chester Bennington) who lived the same heathen lifestyle he did and died. "I wonder why they're gone and I'm still here. I hope they're in a better place. I'm glad to be alive, and I want to make my time count doing good here on Earth." The ballad is called Gone Too Soon:

So heavy I hit the floor
My heart is shaken and torn
Can't catch my breath don't know what to feel
My tears are starting to burn
I scream it wasn't your turn
I can't believe it, this can't be real
Gone too soon my friend
I know your dancing with angels on the wind
It's not the end
Until I reach forever
And were together
You will always be
Gone too soon
A heart with love left to give
A soul with life left to live
So full of color not one defined you
I wish I had one more day
So much that I'd want to say
So much that I didn't take the time too
Gone too soon my friend
I know your dancing with angels on the wind
It's not the end
Until I reach forever
And were together
You will always be
Gone too soon
Oh... Gone too soon
Oh... Yeah
Still can't believe that its true
Still can't believe that's its you
Gone too soon my friend
I know your dancing with angels on the wind
It's not the end
Until I reach forever
And were together
You will always be
Gone too soon
Gone too soon
Gone too soon

Finally, I had to ask him one last question about my favorite song on the album; it is the only other ballad called Mary's Crying. I heard the lyrics but I wondered if it could possibly be true, since this man is a Protestant. "The song Mary's Crying---is it about the Blessed Mother crying over the evil in the world?" He smiled. "Yes." My jaw nearly hit the ground. He had met Traditionalist Mel Gibson (in his better days) when he made the mega-hit, awesome movie The Passion of the Christ. Gibson had asked him to write a song for the album to the film, which Scott did, called Relearn Love:

On a dark and lonely highway
I need the Son to raise my head
I come before you... I am naked
The man I am now must be shed
I've weathered storms and I am broken
My beaten heart is in your hands
What I really need is shelter and a chance
To relearn love
Teach me all over, all over
To relearn love
Show me again
So I can relearn love
The comfort of your arms around me
Your tender hands caress my head
I lay beside you, I'm not worthy
This jaded man's not who I am
I've touched the flame and I've been burned
All I need is a second chance
Give me eyes of a child
And teach this man
To relearn love
Teach me all over, all over
To relearn love
Show me again
So I can relearn love
To relearn love
Teach me all over, all over
To relearn…

I shook Mr. Stapp's hand and thanked him for his honesty and time. I asked if he would autograph my book and he did. As we were leaving, Rob asked me what I thought about him. I said, "He gives me hope that God can do wonderful things for us if only we let Him." He smiled at me and nodded his head. A day I'll never forget, as I drove back home. 

Mary's Crying

Faith is falling, hate is rising
Can't you hear Mother Mary crying

A chill on my skin
As I watch the world cave in
Can't see the light
With our backs against the sun
Can you believe what we've become

I wish I could wipe away her tears
I wish I could wipe away her tears

Faith is falling, hate is rising
Can't you hear Mother Mary crying
Homes are broken, children dying
Can't you hear Mother Mary crying

Should I be surprised
When the truth is laced with lies
So lost, so numb
Seems like no one really listens
Seems like no one really cares

Faith is falling, hate is rising
Can't you hear Mother Mary crying
Homes are broken, children dying
Can't you hear Mother Mary crying

I wish I could wipe away her tears
I wish I could wipe away her tears

Oh... oh... Mary's crying
Oh... oh... Mary's crying

Faith is falling, hate is rising
Can't you hear Mother Mary crying
Homes are broken, children dying
Can't you hear Mother Mary crying

Oh... oh... Mary's crying

Faith is falling, hate is rising
Can't you hear Mother Mary crying
Homes are broken, children dying
Can't you hear Mother Mary crying

I wish I could wipe away her tears...

Conclusion and Note To My Readers
This post concludes my "Singing For Satan" series. I hope you understand why I ended with Scott Stapp. Even those who are "Singing For Satan" are not too far gone that God can't reach them. I never though a Protestant who had lived the life of a pagan would write such a beautiful song about the Most Blessed Virgin Mary. While this is not an endorsement, I find him inspirational. Didn't the great saints of the Church tell us that if one holds a tender devotion to Mary, they can be saved? Perhaps God is leading Scott to the True Faith! I wanted this to end with a positive message; musically speaking, on a high note!

To all my readers: I hope you got something out of this series of posts. I'd appreciate your comments on both the series as a whole and this post on Creed and Scott Stapp in particular. This does not mean I will never again write a post on a musical artist or group. If something strikes me as worthwhile, I will write about it, but not as part of a regular series, or a continuation of this one. I'm starting a new series on a new topic next month, but I'll leave the subject matter a surprise until the first Monday of September. PLEASE COMMENT ON THE SERIES AND/OR THIS FINAL POST. I learn a lot from my readers, and I want to see what you think of this endeavor that stretched out for two years. ---Introibo


44 comments:

  1. What a perfect way to end your series! I nearly cried reading this, but it is such a positive testimony to the way God will reach out and touch the heart when any man (and by that I mean woman, too) cries out from the depth of his soul. I know this personally.
    I will miss this series, but I feel you gave us a satisfying finale!
    Thank you, Intro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jannie,
      Thank you for commenting! I’m glad the series was useful to you, and you liked the last post on Scott Stapp. It’s good to know it was worth the two years putting a monthly post together on this topic!

      God Bless,

      —-Introibo

      Delete
  2. While it's surprisingly unusual that a man like Stapp would sing a song about the BVM in such a way as to show some affection towards her, the question remains as to what he actually believes regarding her. Does he believe she is a perpetual virgin? Does he believe she is immaculately conceived? Is he against praying to her even though his song would seem as if he isn't? I personally know a lot of protestants and while there are many who detest her or look down at her as a mere woman there are a few who don't mind talking about her. The ones who don't mind talking about her don't have a good understanding about her role in our salvation or the theology regarding her. It's because of the way they were brought up. There is hope for anybody though because I know four protestants personally who are now converts to the Catholic Faith (and are sedevacantist) but they will even tell you they gave up a lot to get to where they are at now. Stapp has a lot more work to do. Trying to fix his marital issues, along with leaving the music industry all together in order to pursue the Catholic Faith would be truly inspirational. The music about Mary and his being changed from his former life is meaningless to me especially if his theology is still protestant.

    One thing I don't understand is how "Christian Rock" is good alternative for some. Every year they have an Ichthus festival in KY and IN where all the "saved" protestants congregate to listen to their favorite "Christian" rock bands and it reminds of the World youth day events. One is like a "Catholic" Woodstock with live music, the "Mass," "benediction" etc. out in a field while the other is like a "Protestant" Woodstock with a sort of charismatic emotional experience. It all leads to Hell. Just my thoughts.

    Thank you for the Singing for Satan series. I've learned alot about them in the past and when reading it from your perspective (a Catholic perspective) it's been even better.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee,
      Thank you for your thoughtful comment! Please realize I’m not endorsing Scott Stapp or Christian Rock. He does have a lot more work to do (as you correctly pointed out), but like your Protestant friends who converted, God may be leading him to the True Faith as well! Most conversions are gradual and not immediate like in the case of St. Paul.

      Thank you also for the kind words. I’m glad you thought the series as a whole was worthwhile.

      God Bless,

      —-Introibo

      Delete
    2. I hope he changes one day too. The best things we can do for him as well as others is to pray and do penance. Maybe they will see the fullness of truth found only in the Catholic Church (Novus Ordo not included).

      I try to promote your website elsewhere from time to time. You have good stuff and I like the variety of topics. Keep up the good work.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. Introibo,

    Thanks so much for the article on Creed. It was very inspiring and did indeed end your series on a "high note!!

    Those of us who have been so fortunate to have found Tradition, by God's Grace, no matter how young or old, need not disparage other people's searching and seeking truth in Protestantism. No 2 people's stories are the same. Some people have no or very little knowledge of any religion other than Protestantism or the Novus Ordo. It took some of us many years of seeking and searching, but that does not take away from the final result if the roads so taken finally lead us to the True Faith. It is not where one starts, but rather where one finishes the race that is the winner. In my opinion the perseverance shown by such as Sapp is commendable. To pray and not disparage others who may only have knowledge of Protestantism is commendable also. Perhaps at times we presume too much in the way of theology from people who just don't know it, yet. None of us are predestined. "ALL I NEED IS A SECOND CHANCE". (Relearn love).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joann,
      Thank you for the excellent comment! “It’s not where one starts, but rather where one finishes the race that is the winner.” I’m going to remember that and use it!

      God Bless,

      —-Introibo

      Delete
    2. Don't forget this either:

      Know you not that they that run in the race, all run indeed, but one receiveth the prize. So run that you may obtain. And every one that striveth for the mastery refraineth himself from all things. And they indeed that they may receive a corruptible crown: but we an incorruptible one. I therefore so run, not as at an uncertainty: I so fight, not as one beating the air. But I chastise my body and bring it into subjection: lest perhaps, when I have preached to others, I myself should become a castaway. 1 Corinthians 9: 24-27

      Lee

      Delete
    3. @Lee,
      Absolutely! You need to run so as to win. You must not delay in seeking the truth. You and Joann speak complementary truths!

      God Bless,

      —-Introibo

      Delete
  4. Awesome series! Awesome finally! Music is so powerful and touches many people. It can be used for good or evil. The Catholic perspective is the only perspective that really matters. Thank you for the education!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @SaddleryTack,
      Thank you my friend! Music is powerful indeed. I’m glad you found the series educational!

      God Bless,

      —-Introibo

      Delete
  5. If you give Our Lady half a chance watch out! She will do incredible things for him. Great grand finale Introibo.

    I remember trying to find my way despite being brought up Novus Ordo. I would listen to focus on the family and admired their being pro-life and found it interesting that they had hope for JP2 when he met with people and then were disappointed when he would not preach the truth, the were very disappointed with his speech to the united nations. For the good willed even heretics can be a stepping stone for truth. When the good willed reach that truth they will then have eyes to see how erroneous that stepping stone was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Unknown,
      Excellent point! Thank you for commenting!

      God Bless,

      —-Introibo

      Delete
  6. Introibo,

    I read through the complete series and I don't recall that you discussed the structure of rock music at all. Perhaps I missed it?

    Your objections to this music seemed to focus on just the lyrics and lifestyles of the band members. As bad as this is, the little I have read on the subject indicated that the structure of the music itself is just as bad, and possibly worse. I understand that even the ancient Greeks recognized the dangers of music that deliberately stirs up the passions and exalts them above the intellect.

    I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Pauper Peccator,
      I’m always open to following the evidence where it leads. I do not believe there is an “intrinsically evil beat.” For example, I do not believe that “Mary’s Crying” is evil simply because of a particular beat.

      If Scott Stapp (God Willing) becomes a devout Traditionalist and sings that song, I don’t think it will arouse the passions to do evil.

      My spiritual father, Fr Gommar DePauw, was accused of using “evil music” because he sang “Holy God We Praise Thy Name. Father responded from the pulpit that music is neither good nor evil, but it is the lyrics that make it so. There is a Catholic and Protestant version of “Holy God We Praise Thy Name.” Of course, he used the Catholic version.

      People point out that witch doctors use certain beats, but some those beats are also used to treat people who suffer from anxiety. Interestingly, the Christian Metal groups have concerts where the people are overwhelmingly peaceful and well mannered. Not so the secular metal groups.

      I do not endorse or condemn Christian Rock and harmless music like Christopher Cross. The only music I positively endorse is (a) Gregorian Chant, And classical music, such as Bach.

      God Bless,

      —-Introibo

      Delete
  7. Music, literature, and the fine arts all suffered during the "Enlightenment", due to the artists' excessive emphasis on Man.
    Mozart, a practicing Catholic, composed sublime Church music, but "mystery" pieces as well. His "The Magic Flute" was a paean to Masonry. It has been said by music historians that the Requiem which he was working on at his death was not a Catholic Mass but a Masonic one. If true, how could someone be...how can I put it...so schizophrenic in his soul? I still love "Ave Verum Corpus". It could well be his "redeeming" work. I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jannie,
      I hope so too! I’ve read a couple of papers on Mozart claiming he was mentally ill. If true, it would explain much. His sins would not be imputed to him, and he could be in Heaven.

      God Bless,

      —-Introibo

      Delete
    2. I hope so. Ave Verum Corpus brings tears to my eyes. The most moving, loving piece of music to the Eucharistic Christ, ever!

      Delete
    3. Jannie,
      It’s beautiful beyond words.

      —-Introibo

      Delete
    4. "Music, literature, and the fine arts all suffered during the "Enlightenment", due to the artists' excessive emphasis on Man."

      Agreed. I will say our society suffers now from an excessive emphasis on Woman. Here is an recent article on that: https://stevensperay.wordpress.com/2019/07/28/feminism-the-first-sin/

      Delete
    5. @anon11:28
      I agree with Mr Speray’s great post. I don’t think it’s an emphasis on women because the Church has always been pro-woman (how could it be otherwise with the Blessed Virgin Mary as our role model with Her Dive Son), but anti-FEMINIST as well defined by Steve Speray.

      God Bless,

      —-Introibo

      Delete
    6. Introibo,

      Is it true that the Church used to allow Priests to marry? If so, I wonder if they hadn't changed to celibacy for Priests, if it would have prevented the Church from being infiltrated by sodomites and pedophiles? Perhaps even Vatican II would not have happened?

      JoAnn

      Delete
    7. JoAnn,

      The Church allowed married men to become priests but not priests to get married. Celibacy has nothing to do with sodomites and pedophiles in the ranks of the clergy as we can see in the Boy Scouts (as one example) which has a higher percentage of sodomites and pedophiles in its ranks. Celibacy is the more perfect way to imitate Christ as St. Paul implies.

      Delete
    8. @Joann,
      Celibacy has its roots going back to St. Paul himself who urged others to adopt his lifestyle. "Yet I wish that all men were even as I myself am. However, each man has his own gift from God, one in this manner, and another in that. But I say to the unmarried and to widows that it is good for them if they remain even as I. But if they do not have self-control, let them marry; for it is better to marry than to burn with passion. (1 Corinthians 7: 7-9)

      Our Lord admonishes celibacy: "For there are eunuchs, who were born so from their mother's womb: and there are eunuchs, who were made so by men: and there are eunuchs, who have made themselves eunuchs for the Kingdom of Heaven. He that can take, let him take it." (St. Matthew 19:12)

      The Church has dogmatically defined celibacy a superior state to marriage: "CANON X.-If any one saith, that the marriage state is to be placed above the state of virginity, or of celibacy, and that it is not better and more blessed to remain in virginity, or in celibacy, than to be united in matrimony; let him be anathema."

      In the early Church, there were married priests, but there is much evidence that married men who became priests— were often older men, "elders"— who were expected to live in complete continence, refraining permanently from sexual relations with their wives.

      Only the celibate could become bishops. In the Eastern Rites, married men can be ordained but must remain celibate should their wife die. Once again, only the celibate Eastern Rite priests were eligible to become bishops.

      The problem, in my opinion, has NOTHING to do with celibacy and everything to do with the infiltration of the Church by Communists who placed sodomites in the seminaries, and the Modernists let them in post-V2.

      There have always been bad people in the hierarchy, starting with Judas, who was Picked by Christ Himself. This shows us that wicked people will always be among us, even in Church positions of authority. Protestants are not exempt, even though they can marry.

      Ted Haggard, a once big time Protestant minister (married with kids) was paying a homosexual for sex. Jimmy Swaggert, married to a very attractive woman was out with prostitutes.

      The problem is not celibacy. It's Modernism and Vatican II.

      ---Introibo

      Delete
    9. Gen. 1-28: "Increase and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it, and rule over the fishes of the sea, and the fowls of the air, and all living creatures that move upon the earth."

      If celibacy is preferred over marriage how could Gen. 1-28 above be fulfilled?

      JoAnn

      Delete
    10. Anonymous at 11:28
      Couldn't agree more. I believe once "Man" (humankind) was de facto exalted to Godlike status, the trajectory toward social decay speeded up until a scant couple centuries later the Biblical warning from God is becoming reality for us. My recollection only allows me to paraphrase the passage: The women shall rule you and children shall be your princes.

      Delete
    11. @Joann,
      Celibacy is a superior state, but not everyone is called to it. Celibacy should be for priests and religious. Those who do not have a religious vocation are either called to the single state (and must be celibate) or the married state. It is to those called by God to be married, that the biblical passage you cite applies. Just because you are married, does not in any way prohibit you from becoming a great saint. My patron saint, King St. Louis IX of France, was married and had thirteen children.

      ---Introibo

      Delete
    12. I have the thought that God may have pre ordained celibacy from all eternity for those who are called to serve him in the Priesthood and Religious life. Statistically, the ratio of those who have that vocation to those who are called to Matrimony is naturally low so that God's call to be fruitful and multiply can still be easily met as He commanded. JMO.

      Delete
    13. Saddlery Tack & Introibo,

      Thanks much!!

      JoAnn

      Delete
  8. Hi introibo! A great conclusion for a great sequence of posts.

    I'd like to humbly speak about my personal testimony. I was raised in a protestant family. My grandfather was a protestant pastor. My mother passed away when I was around 12 years old. A few years later I discovered bands like Nirvana, and I could identify perfectly with that kind of music due it's depressive/agressive aspects. One or two years later, I got in contact with the christian(mostly protestant) rock music. I really jumped into the scene, had contacts with a lot of people, bands and was trying to start my own band too. But somehow, a lot of aspects of my own personality, world view and feelings could not be equalized with the protestant message. I remember when a girlfriend told me "you have a lot rage inside yourself, and when it explodes I won't be near you...". And that happened. I remember when in a rage crisis I kicked and teared apart the bible my father gifted me (a protestant one). I got in connection with the 'secular' extreme music. In about 2 years I grouped a black metal band. I started to hate everything I thought was the christian religion (actually the protestant herery, but I didn't knew anything about Catholicism). I blasphemed against everything sacred, my band had explicitly blasphemous songs. Often I abused alcohol. That wicked way of life lasted for years.
    Then, due a desillusion with a black metal 'friend' I started to realize how those people (or at least most of them) were so much hypocrites as the christians (protestants) that I've hated so much. I began to distantiate myself from the scene and gigs, and became mostly a home alone person. It was when I began to research over religions, 'cause I really felt a need for a solid religious creed. For years I had considered myself an Asatru (norse paganism) believer, but I felt it wasn't a solid ground. I researched for eastern religions as hinduism, budism etc., and it was when due my appreciation with medieval things that I started to research about catholicism and casually stepped at a R&R sort of site. I began to read everything I could about the so called traditional catholicism. And it was during a lone night when I knelt and asked God forgiven for all blasphemies and evil things I've done. Than it took years for me to reach the sede position. And thank God and our Lady for all mercy on me. I'm far from being a perfect and exemplar Catholic, but I'm trying. Thank you for your great work with this blog, best regards! (sorry for any writting mistake as I'm not a born english speaker)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @anon5:33
      Thank you for your powerful testimony! May God continue to lead you in all truth. I’m glad the series helped you, and your English is quite good!

      God Bless,

      —-Introibo

      Delete
  9. I enjoyed the series and think the Creed lead singer has hope to be Traditional Catholic.
    God bless
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Andrew,
      Thank you for commenting! I’m glad you found the series helpful.

      God Bless,

      —-Introibo

      Delete
  10. Thanks, Introibo, for that awesome series, I read every SFS post! I'm looking forward to the new series. The only thing I would add is that I think you confused music and poetry. The "poetry", the words that accompany the music is one thing, the music is another. I think its possible to use reason to discover that the raw music that is "Rock and Roll" is for our lower nature. Its emphasis on the bass, its use of "distortion", its dependence on volume, and its reliance on Voodoo and african rhythms are problematic SEPARATE from the words that accompany them.

    The Magic Flute, could be stripped of its masonic libretto, and it is masonic, but no one would ever say the music itself spoke to our lower nature. Mozarts music is not just a difference in style or taste, it takes our spirit to a higher place because its speaks to the mind, not the hips. The complexities of "classical" music don't inspire head banging or lewd behavior not because the lyrics are "Catholic" or clean, but because the music itself speaks to the spirit and the mind, not the crotch, which rock music.

    My point is that we can't just swap out Catholic lyrics into rock music and say we have healthy music! If I had children, I would not have the rock style in my house. I grew up listening to all the junk you write about in SFS, and I could never understand the lyrics anyway! Its the music that is the poison.

    My 2 cents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Unknown,
      Thank you for commenting my friend!

      God Bless,

      —-Introibo

      Delete
    2. Unknown @5:43,

      I tend to agree with you. I couldn't understand the lyrics, it was the music and the beat that I liked.

      Delete
  11. I still have a large collection of Rock and R&B albums from the 60s/70s, stored away in the basement. I stopped listening to them years ago about the same time I gave up Novus Ordo and television. Being somewhat of a packrat, I've haven't gotten around to disposing them. What do you suggest I do with them. I know many who would like to get their hands on them. My conscience tells me not to sell, donate, or just dump them, but to destroy them. That would be quite a tedious endeavor. Would this be the thing to do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anthony,
      In my OPINION I don’t think the rock albums can be given away without propagating their evil. Maybe just destroying a few each week would not be overly bothersome for you. There’s no rush to get the job done!

      God Bless,

      —-Introibo

      Delete
  12. Your work is excellent; it both corroborates and updates the disclosures of the late investigative journalist David McGowan. Thank you for your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carlo,
      Thank you for the kind words myfriend!

      God Bless,

      ---Introibo

      Delete