Monday, February 12, 2024

The Four Temperaments --Introduction

 

To My Readers: I have received several requests for a post on the Four Temperaments. This week's post is an introduction to this most important and interesting topic. I will follow-up with other posts so that by the end of 2024, I will have done some justice to presenting the Four Temperaments. 

I want to acknowledge that I take no credit for the posts on this topic. My primary sources will be from theologian Schagemann and his work entitled Manual of Self-Knowledge and Christian Perfection (1913).  Also, the work of theologian Hock The Four Temperaments (1934) will be used throughout this series of posts, with various other sources. I take absolutely no credit whatsoever for the content of this post (or the ones on this topic to follow). All I did was condense the material of these theologians into a terse post that hopefully will be advantageous for  those looking for information, but without time to read an entire book or two from the pre-Vatican II era on the subject. 

***SPECIAL NOTICE*** In addition to my workload, which has always been quite demanding, I now have to travel for some of my cases given to me this year. As I type these words, I'm going to be spending most of the week in another state, and going to several locations there. All this coupled with my duties to my family, my religious duties, and the responsibility I owe to the eleemosynary organizations which I help lead, leaves ever less time for this blog.  Indeed, I would have reduced my posts to two Mondays a month if it hadn't been for my incredibly generous and intelligent guest poster, Lee. His writing has been a godsend. Lee is also a family man, with a busy job, and religious duties. He can only do so much. Joanna From Poland is also invaluable to me. She has been an excellent guest poster, and I owe her many thanks. 

I would also be remiss if I didn't mention my former guest poster, A Simple Man, a young professional whose time was stretched so thin, he could no longer contribute. I thank him for all his hard work, and wish him only the very best. 

I am wondering if any of my readers would like to be a guest poster for this blog. It would help me tremendously in ensuring that there is one Traditionalist Catholic post published every Monday. If you:
  • Are a Traditionalist Catholic who holds the sedevacantist position and the Integral Catholic Faith
  • Accept Pope Pius XII as the last true pope of the Roman Catholic Church
  • Have a talent for (and enjoy) writing on Catholic topics
  • Can contribute at least one post every two months (once a month would be ideal)
...then I hope you would consider being a guest poster. If you fit the description above and want to apply, please send me your name and email address via the comments. I promise not to publish it, and to keep your identity in strictest confidence. I will contact you with an email that protects my identity. We can communicate from there. If I feel you would be an asset to this blog, you may publish here under your name, or choose to remain completely anonymous like I do. 

There is no money or tangible benefits involved. However, you have a chance to make an incredible impact on people during this time of Great Apostasy. You may even make a convert or two! Your good works pay nothing here, but your "retirement benefits" will be (literally) out of this world! I will continue posting every Monday for as long as I can, but without additional help, I may have to (unfortunately) reduce my postings to twice a month.

God bless you all, my dear readers---Introibo

The Four Temperaments (Introduction)

The four temperaments originated thousands of years ago. Hippocrates, the first to develop the theory, defined the four temperaments according to four types of fluids of the body:
Choleric: yellow bile from the liver.

Sanguine: blood from the heart.

Melancholic: black bile from the kidneys.

Phlegmatic: phlegm from the lungs.

What, exactly, is a "temperament"? It is the disposition of human reactions, and very telling of how people should approach the spiritual life. 

One of the most reliable means of learning to know oneself is the study of the temperaments. For if a man knows and understands his temperament, he can learn easily to direct and control himself. If he is able to discern the temperament of others, he can better understand and help them. If we consider the reaction of various persons to the same experience, we will find that it is different in every one of them; it may be quick and lasting, or slow but lasting; or it may be quick but of short duration, or slow and of short duration. This manner of reaction, or the different degrees of excitability, is what we call "temperament." There are four temperaments: the choleric, the melancholic, the sanguine, and the phlegmatic.

The sanguine temperament is marked by quick but shallow, superficial excitability; the choleric by quick but strong and lasting; the melancholic temperament by slow but deep; the phlegmatic by slow but shallow excitability. The first two are also called extroverts, outgoing; the last two are introverts or reserved. Temperament, then, is a Fundamental Disposition of the soul, which manifests itself whenever an impression is made upon the mind, be that impression caused by thought -by thinking about something or by representation through the imagination -or by external stimuli. 

Knowledge of the temperament of any person supplies the answer to the questions: How does this person deport himself? How does he feel moved to action whenever something impresses him strongly? For instance, how does he react, when he is praised or rebuked, when he is offended, when he feels sympathy for or aversion against somebody? Or, to use another example, how does be act if in a storm, or in a dark forest, or on a dark night the thought of imminent danger comes to him?

The following queries should be asked:
  • Is the person under the influence of such impressions, thoughts, or facts, quickly and vehemently excited, or only slowly and superficially? 
  • Does the person under such influences feel inclined to act at once, quickly, in order to oppose the impression; or does he feel more inclined to remain calm and to wait? 
  • Does the excitement of the soul last for a long time or only for a moment? Does the impression continue, so that at the recollection of such impression the excitement is renewed? Or does he conquer such excitement speedily and easily, so that the remembrance of it does not produce a new excitement?
The answers will be telling. The choleric person is quickly and vehemently excited by any impression made; he tends to react immediately, and the impression lasts a long time and easily induces new excitement. The person of sanguine temperament, like the choleric, is quickly and strongly excited by the slightest impression, and tends to react immediately, but the impression does not last; it soon fades away. The melancholic individual is at first only slightly excited by any impression received; a reaction does not set in at all or only after some time. But the impression remains deeply rooted, especially if new impressions of the same kind are repeated. The phlegmatic person is only slightly excited by any impression made upon him; he has scarcely any inclination to react, and the impression vanishes quickly. The choleric and sanguine temperaments are active, the melancholic and phlegmatic temperaments are passive.

The Knowledge of Temperaments is Very Important
It may be difficult in many cases to decide upon the temperament of any particular person; still we should not permit ourselves to be discouraged in the attempt to understand our own temperament and that of those persons with whom we live or with whom we come often into contact, for the advantages of such insight are very great. To know the temperaments of our fellow men helps us to understand them better, treat them more correctly, bear with them more patiently. These are evidently advantages for social life which can hardly be appreciated enough.

A choleric person is won by quiet explanation of reasons and motives; whereas by harsh commands he is embittered, hardened, driven to strong-headed resistance. A melancholic person is made suspicious and reticent by a rude word or an unfriendly mien, by continuous kind treatment, on the contrary, he is made pliable, trusting, affectionate. The choleric person can be relied upon, but with a sanguine person we can hardly count even upon his apparently serious promises. Without a knowledge of the temperaments of our fellow men we will treat them often wrongly, to their and to our own disadvantage.

With a knowledge of the temperaments, one bears with fellow men more patiently. If one knows that their defects are the consequence of their temperament, he excuses them more readily and will not so easily be excited or angered by them. He remains quiet, for instance, even if a choleric is severe, sharp-edged, impetuous, or obstinate. And if a melancholic person is slow, hesitating, undecided; if he does not speak much and even if he says awkwardly the little he has to say; or if a sanguine person is very talkative, light-minded, and frivolous; if a phlegmatic cannot be aroused from his usual indifference, he does not become irritated.

It is of the greatest benefit furthermore to recognize fully one’s own temperament. Only if one knows it, can he judge correctly himself, his moods, his peculiarities, his past life. An elderly gentleman, of wide experience in the spiritual life, who happened to read the following treatise on temperaments said: “I have never learned to know myself so well, as I find myself depicted in these lines, because nobody dared to tell me the truth so plainly as these lines have done.”

If one knows one’s own temperament, he can work out his own perfection with greater assurance, because finally the whole effort toward self-perfection consists in the perfection of the good and in the combating of the evil dispositions. Thus the choleric will have to conquer, in the first place, his obstinacy, his anger, his pride; the melancholic, his lack of courage and his dread of suffering; the sanguine, his talkativeness, his inconsistency; the phlegmatic, his sloth, his lack of energy. 

The person who knows himself will become more humble, realizing that many good traits which he considered to be virtues are merely good dispositions and the natural result of his temperament, rather than acquired virtues. Consequently, the choleric will judge more humbly of his strong will, his energy, and his fearlessness; the sanguine of his cheerfulness, of his facility to get along well with difficult persons; the melancholic will judge more humbly about his sympathy for others, about his love for solitude and prayer; the phlegmatic about his good nature and his repose of mind.

The temperament is innate in each person, therefore it cannot be exchanged for another temperament. But man can and must cultivate and perfect the good elements of his temperament and combat and eradicate the evil ones. Every temperament is in itself good and with each one man can do good and work out his salvation. It is, therefore, imprudent and ungrateful to wish to have another temperament. “All the spirits shall praise the Lord” (Ps. 150:6).

Conclusion
This brief introduction to the Four Temperaments explains what they are in general, and why it's important to know about temperaments--especially one's own. To find out your temperament, there are several online tests that are easy to take. Know your temperament. Each of the Four Temperaments will have a post dedicated to it. Temperament is distinct from personality. While personality refers to the entirety of a person’s behavior, emotions, and thought patterns, a temperament more specifically refers to our natural preferences and tendencies; it especially refers to how people react to things. Our temperament is not an excuse for our sins or flaws. When we are uncharitable to others or seem stuck in certain patterns of sin, we can’t shrug and say, “That’s just how I am,” and never try to change.

Each temperament has particular strengths and weaknesses. But the strengths can deepen, and the weaknesses can recede, all according to God's grace in us. But he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. (2 Corinthians 12:9).

40 comments:

  1. Despite your busy schedule, your posts are always of the highest quality. It's a joy to read you, as well as Lee and Joanna, who are doing you a great service. To have a blog about the true Faith in this time of Great Apostasy is a blessing !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simon,
      Thank you, my friend! Comments like yours keep me writing!

      God Bless,

      ---Introibo

      Delete
    2. Simon, I agree on all points. God Bless all of the contributors. It is indeed a great blessing to read these posts, as well as the comment section! –S.T.

      Delete
    3. Holy season of Lent ! May God help us during this time of penance and privation ! Pray for me that I may not succumb to temptation.

      Delete
    4. Simon,
      You're always in my prayers, Simon! I ask all my readers to pray for you as well!

      God Bless,

      ---Introibo

      Delete
  2. Introibo,

    Thanks for starting this series! I’ve looked into this in the past, and just came away a bit confused about it all. So many temperaments seemed to overlap for me. I took a couple tests again, with inconsistent results, so instead I’ll just be on the lookout for the fifth temperament, whenever it comes out. I imagine it will involve being both quickly and slowly excitable, with mostly deep yet occasionally superficial reactions… In the past, I was consistent with the Myers-Briggs test, even though on a couple of the four categories, I was somewhat close. I read that test somewhat corresponds to temperament combinations. Do you agree? Do you mind sharing your temperament? I look forward to future installments, especially on the melancholic and choleric temperaments.

    I enjoyed the explanations on why we should learn our temperaments. I’ll continue to explore this, and try and apply what I’ve learned.

    This post reminded me of a quote by St. Alphonsus de Liguori, “We must endeavour, above all, to find out what is our predominant passion. He who conquers it conquers all his passions; he who allows himself to be overcome by it is lost.”

    I wish everyone a spiritually profitable Lent. Let us pray that we offer things up well to the Lord, ask Him and Our Lady for assistance with our struggles, and that this season yields lasting changes, pleasing to the Lord.

    God Bless,
    -Seeking Truth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeking Truth,
      A holy and profitable Lent to you, my friend!

      God Bless,

      ---Introibo

      Delete
    2. Seeking Truth,
      I am choleric.

      God Bless,

      ---Introibo

      Delete
  3. Hello Introibo

    Our family think this is one of the best sites on the net . We pray that several others will step forward and help provide writing. If not, yours twice a month is okay.

    On the subject of courtship and marriage . If ones young daughter becomes very interested and attracted to a young man at your Mass center ,do you think it is a good idea to have her dad and mom introduce her to the man and tell him her intentions. The man may not know what she is thinking and may be worried he will make himself a goof after maybe several bad experiences. What about your priest introducing her to the man. Your thoughts please.

    God bless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @anon4:20
      Thank you for your kind words, my friend!
      As to your query, in my opinion, you should seek out the priest to see what kind of young man your daughter is interested in dating. By this, I mean to find out if he may be discerning a vocation to the priesthood or religious life. If he's not, then ask the priest if he can introduce your FAMILY to the young man's FAMILY. It can be at a Chapel function or another way the priest thinks is fitting.

      To have a priest (or other adult/parent) introduce young people could be a source of real embarrassment. Once introduced, invite the parents of the young man to eat breakfast after Mass with you--or some other casual get together. Let the other father know of your daughter's interest. No doubt, the father will ask his son later in private. If both like each other, the young man can call your daughter for a date.

      You do not mention their ages. If under 21, they should have chaperoned dates. Too many temptations in this evil world. If over 21, they should make dates in PUBLIC places only. At no time should they be alone in private. Chastity must be preserved.

      I hope this helped!

      God Bless,

      ---Introibo

      Delete
  4. I have always had this business idea and someone can steal it for their area.
    It is to go to companies and test all the employees and then recommend to the company on where people should be positioned in the company according to their temperament. And guarantee they see production go up or else it is free.

    What do you think of this Business Idea Introibo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SMocko,
      It sounds very interesting! Remember, it is not an exact science--but I would love to see the results if it were tried somewhere!

      Please send me a private email to contact you regarding your second query. I will not share with anyone.

      God Bless,

      ---Introibo

      Delete
  5. The above comment about courtship and dating. If the man and woman are over 21 introibo ,do you agree that it is good for a family or friends introduce their daughter to a man(who is looking for a good Catholic woman) who is a devout Catholic and upholds moral teaching regarding marriage .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Although I am not a believer, I also wanted to thank Introibo and the other collaborators for the immense work they do on the blog and for their kindness to me. I know my words are of little use but I wanted you to know that your blog is one of the best sites on the Internet that I know. What I like most is how instructive it is and that it analyzes many current issues from an entirely Catholic perspective. With the confusion that currently exists, I consider it very useful and I suppose that it will help Catholics a lot to grow their Faith.

    Young reader from Spain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Young Reader From Spain,
      Thank you for your kind words, my friend! I hope God will use me to draw others into the One True Church.

      God Bless,

      ---Introibo

      Delete
  7. Thank you Introibo!

    Your framework for the understanding the four temperaments as speed/duration of reaction is so helpful for applying them. One other I have heard is the "Four P's": cholerics like Power, sanguines like Pleasure, melancholics like Perfection, and phlegmatics like Peace.

    I hope that you stay safe in your travels and that this uptick in your workload is not too taxing. Thank you for your articles and your kindness in responding to comments!

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie,
      Interesting! I never heard of the Four P's in regard to the Four Temperaments. I'm glad you find my blog helpful. It's for people like you that I keep writing. I always respond to my readers, although I cannot do so right away most times. I learn a lot from my readers in these comments, and they add to the overall quality of my blog.

      God Bless,

      ---Introibo

      Delete
    2. I am enjoying this discussion very much!

      I have been interested in the Temperaments for some time.
      Stephanie's "4 P's" is a great, quick summary!
      Knowing about the temperament does help a person to do their particular examen better. You can assess your faults without the burden of feeling you must try to escape your nature in order to improve, spiritually. Since God gave your temperament to you, trying to change it would be a presumptuous, vain and futile exercise.
      Knowing about the temperaments goes a long way in helping a couple understand each other's ways of looking at things. Armed with this knowledge before marrying is ideal.
      I have determined I am mostly melancholic with some choleric tossed in.
      My spouse is phlegmatic, so he has the easygoing way and tendency to want peace above all.

      I am looking forward to more on this.
      Thank you, Intro.

      -Jannie

      Delete
    3. Jannie,
      Glad you find this topic helpful! It's for my great readers, like you, for whom I'm doing it.

      God Bless,

      ---Introibo

      Delete
  8. Hello Introibo


    It is a real blessing that you have been able to produce writing every week for years that I always look forward to reading. Well done . If you can only write every two weeks that is okay with me .It will make me look forward to it even more . I will have a Mass offered for you and prayers are offered every day. Thank you so much for all you do.

    On the subject of courtship and marriage which several readers have asked about above . Do you think it is a good idea for a traditional priest to introduce a traditional Catholic woman to a traditional Catholic man . How would he do this .

    Do you believe that a traditional Catholic woman can know in her heart after seeing a devout traditional Catholic man always at Mass and the Sacraments that he will become her husband. I am sure our Lady can bring a man and woman together . I would be interested in your thoughts .

    Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter,
      Thank you so much for the kind words, prayers, and Mass (I need all the prayers and Masses I can get!). As to your queries:
      1. If the priest is willing to make the introduction, the method would be up to him. Some priests may not be comfortable doing it at all, but will leave it up to the parents.

      2. I think the woman can have reasonable certainty that he is the type of man with whom she could have a solid Catholic marriage and children. Yes, Our Lord and Our Lady can bring people together, but ultimately, His Will be done. If one feels called to marriage as their vocation/state in life, they should pray and discern. God will not fail to show His Will. I met my wife in a very unexpected way!

      Hope this helped!

      God Bless,

      ---Introibo

      Delete
  9. Quick question: I think it was here in this blog that I read you saying how one cannot (or may/should not?) go to even a real, Catholic, valid Mass, if there is manifest sacrilege/s that take place regularly? I think it was a pre V2 source too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @anon10:36
      To the best of my knowledge and belief, I never wrote such. If there's actual sacrilege taking place at a real Mass, the priest should be reported to his Bishop (if he has one) or tell him you will not attend until he stops the sacrilegious behavior.

      I did write once about a True priest who offers the True Mass so slovenly and garbles the words so badly, I was concerned as to the validity of the Mass (that he got the Words of Consecration wrong or so badly pronounced as to render the Most Holy Sacrifice invalid). I would not attend his Masses. I cannot tell others that this is sinful to attend for I have no authority to do so. Each person must decide for himself.

      God Bless,

      ---Introibo

      Delete
    2. I see, thank you for the reply.

      Delete
    3. There is a priest where I go who says the Mass super fast and I have wondered the same exact thing. He seems to speed through the Consecration as well and I feel horrible about it.

      Do the rubrics say anything about the speed the priest should read?

      Delete
    4. @anon7:03
      Not directly, but the words are to be recited DISTINCTLY, ATTENTIVELY, and SECRETLY. The "secret voice" is the lowest tone, attentively he must pay attention to this greatest of all actions, and distinctly he must recite the words without garbling them. If a priest is rushing through, how distinct are those words? Does he say them all correctly and without omission? It is scary that he exposes the Most Holy Sacrifice of the Mass to invalidity, and treats something so Holy, so carelessly.

      God Bless,

      ---Introibo

      Delete
    5. Do you have the link to the post about the priest you mentioned?

      Delete
    6. @anon6:36
      It was in the comments of a past post. The priest is Fr. Joseph Greenwell. See my response to anon1:33 below.

      God Bless,

      ---Introibo

      Delete
  10. Introibo
    How long did it take for you to fall in love with your future wife?
    You met your wife in a very unexpected way . I feel called to the married state and many have told me don't worry or despair. You don't know what is a round the corner and trust God. He bring someone into your life if that is his will .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @anon1:18
      If you're doing all you can to meet someone, and you are truly called to the married state, then I agree that God will lead you to the right person.

      I (literally) bumped into my wife at an art museum here in NY, on a Sunday after Mass. We started talking, and hit it off. After 2 months, I was in love. I proposed three months after our first date, and we married a year later.

      God Bless,

      ---Introibo

      Delete
  11. Introibo

    We know a priest Father Joseph Greenwell of the SSPV who caused us much scandal and hurt by the way he says Mass. Do you know about him?We left for Saint Gertrudes where Bishop McGuire is pastor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That any priest would be sloven and careless about the way he celebrates holy Mass is just baffling, all the more so if he’s a traditional priest opposing the modernists, it’s utterly inexcusable.

      Delete
    2. @anon1:33
      The priest to whom I was referring was Fr. Greenwell. I love the SSPV. They are the best. Greenwell is the one bad apple. I was so happy when he was removed from New York.

      God Bless,

      ---Introibo

      Delete
    3. Hello @anon1:33,
      Where did you previously attend Mass with Fr. Greenwell? How long ago was this? Hopefully, someone has respectfully admonished him through another SSPV priest since then. Thank you.

      Delete
  12. Hello Introibo. I wanted to ask a question about the Temperaments. I guess I'm a week late and a dollar short, but I hope it's OK. I just was wondering how emotional or mental disorders play a role in this. It is probably a large question requiring large answers. And I could go on for many hours regarding my take on this, but don't worry I won't ! I just wanted to throw it out there. ThankX so much for your articles over the years -- your Sede friend in Philippines (hiding out in the jungles of Mindanao 'til things blow over over there.) Just kidding, God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MAC,
      I really have not read anything regarding the Four Temperaments and mental disorders. If I find anything, I will reply here.

      God Bless,

      ---Introibo

      Delete
  13. You should repost your blog entry on "Extreme Unction" from yrs ago,it was very informative.

    God bless,Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Introibo. I noticed that you used the terms "introvert" and "extrovert". Were these used in the theologians' works you cited? Were these terms not introduced to psychology by Carl Jung? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @anon2:10
      Jung was the first to use these terms in psychology. It was in the writings of the theologians, but in common parlance, not in Jung's occult psychobabble. For example, "introvert" simply means "a reserved person," and nothing more.

      God Bless,

      ---Introibo

      Delete